- With all that’s going on in the world, I think we all need a little stress relief right about now! I love simple smoothie recipes that can be thrown together with things we usually have at home. The only thing a little out of the ordinary here is the lavender.
- Lavender has a calming effect that helps us sleep. It is used a lot in baby washes and lotions for that exact reason! A few sprigs of this sleep loving herb makes this smoothie an extra special nutritious and calming treat!
- This recipe not only calms but it contains a boost of those good fats that help our skin and hair, antioxidants (blueberries), a high dose of fiber and a healthy serving of protein!
- Replacing carbs and fat with protein, you reduce the hunger hormone and boost several satiety hormones. This leads to a major reduction in hunger and is the main reason protein helps you lose weight. It can make you eat fewer calories automatically. [source: healthline.com]
- Daily Calorie Composition: 55% from carbs, 38% from fat and 7% from protein.
Calming Lavender Smoothie
A delicious mix of blueberries, avocado, honey and lavender make this a calming smoothie you'll want to try!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (15 kcal) subs: whole milk, oat, cashew
- 1/4 cup ice (n/a)
- 1/2 cup honey vanilla yogurt (frozen) (145 kcal) subs: greek, vanilla, honey
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen) (82 kcal)
- 1/4 avocado (peeled and pitted) (80 kcal)
- 1/2 tbsp honey (30 kcal) locally sourced preferred
- 1 sprig fresh lavender (n/a)
- Add ingredients in the order listed, blend and enjoy!
- Lavender works as an anxiolytic (an anxiety reliever) and as a sedative, to increase relaxation and calm, and help bring about sleep.
- Lavender interacts with the neurotransmitter GABA to help quiet the brain and nervous system activity, reducing agitation, anger, aggression, and restlessness. [source: thesleepdoctor.com]